Tuesday, December 8, 2009

My Neighbor is a Walking Billboard for Gold's Gym

Last Saturday my newest friend, Michelle, had her 40th birthday party. She's actually our next-door neighbor and the quintessential example of Southern Hospitality (even thought she's a transplant from Wisconsin). She's cute, bubbly, always calling out to me across the yard "Hey Girl! Howyadoin?"  I love her and I can't stand her...cuz she has this bottomless well of self-disclipline.

Two months ago, when we first moved in, she and her husband and two darling children came over to welcome us and give us a tour of our house (they knew more about the history of our house than we did). As all women do, (don't pretend you don't) I checked her out to see if I had anything to be jealous of. She was perfect in all ways...little waist, gorgeous, but ah...yep, there is it was....my saving grace: a lot too much in her pudunka a dunk. Definitely some junk in the trunk.

Now, of course, this Southern belle had popped out two kids and a little extra bummage is totally forgiveable. But it did even the playing field, so to speak. I didn't have to die of jealousy every time I saw her.

And then the unthinkable happened. She got all fired up before her 40th birthday and hired a trainer...went to the gym EVERY DAY for at least 30 minutes before picking up the kids from school, and OHMIGOSH, POOF....the junk in the trunk was gone! She looks amazing....tight muscles in her arms, smooth skin tone, flat belly, AHHHHH! I was green with envy and totally motivated at the same time! AND, her trainer ( a gorgeous and sweet black man with all sorts of charm) came to the party to celebrate her new body on her birthday. He must have signed up 5 ladies for training sessions that night. Even Dave woke up the next morning and said "we gotta get a gym membership".

Since both of our birthdays and Christmas fall into the same 4 week time period, and since Dave's mom is crazy about sending gifts....we called her up and requested cash for the gym and training sessions in lieu of other gifts. So I have no excuses now, I'm going to start training by Christmas! And I've already got a work-out buddy... Michelle is so stoked to go to the gym every day that she wants to get certified as a trainer, and I'll be her first practice client!

Other than the motivating weekend, we made big strides as well. We worked out almost every day and stopped snacking at night. My alcohol consumption is a fraction of what it used to be (even considering the parties), and I'm feeling very very hopeful.

Okay....skinny bitches! Bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment